Sunday, September 5, 2010

Flank Steak Fajitas

I'm usually a chicken person when it comes to fajitas, but a few months ago I decided I wanted to have some with steak. I couldn't find skirt steak (this is what is normally used for fajitas) where I live (not surprised by that), so I decided to go with my favorite cut of meat, flank steak.

As time goes by, you will begin to see I'm a bit obsessed with flank steak. Why? Well, the main reason is there's little to no fat on it. Secondly, it tastes really good! For anyone who doesn't know about flank steak, it comes from the lower hindquarter. At the store, you will buy a whole flank steak which is typically 1-1.5lbs. Flank steak needs a marinade to help tenderize it because it's very fibrous. Once marinated, this cut of meat turns delicious.

The first time I did this it took me awhile to decide what I wanted to do with the meat. I knew I needed to add flavor, but how much? I spent the whole day thinking about what to do with the steak, and finally decided on garlic and lime. The fajitas turned out great!

The other day I decided to invite a few friends over for dinner. Instead of coming up with a menu myself, a lot of the time I ask my friends (usually the ones who are picky) what they want me to make for them. The immediate response from my friend's husband was "Mexican. Nothing weird. Nothing fancy...how about fajitas?" Ask and ye shall receive!
Flank Steak Fajitas

Marinade:
1 flank steak
5 garlic cloves, crushed

1. Place the flank steak in a shallow dish. Rub both sides with crushed garlic, cover, and place in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
Veggies:
3 bell peppers (whatever color you prefer), sliced thin (I use the madoline)
1 large onion, sliced thin (mandoline again)
2T neutral oil (I used extra light olive oil)
2 limes, juiced

1. After the meat has marinated, place it in the freezer for about 10 minutes to make it easier to slice.
2. Remove from freezer and slice thin, and against the grain (across the short side) of the meat. Toss with salt & pepper.
3. In batches, sear the meat on each side and place into a shallow dish. Do this until all of the meat is finished. Squeeze lime juice on the meat. Let sit while you do the next step.
4. Saute all the veggies in the same pan you cooked the meat. Cook these until they're done to your liking. I like them softer, but if you like them still a bit crunchy then cook for a shorter time.
5. Toss the veggies with the beef and serve.

For a big group, serve these with lots of things to top them with. Big bowls of guacamole, pico de gallo, lime sour cream (just zest one of the limes before juicing and stir into an 8oz container of sour cream, refried beans, spanish rice, a selection of hot sauces, and obviously big pitchers of margaritas.

A

No comments:

Post a Comment