Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Buttermilk Red Onion Rings

I bought a new deep fryer. I rarely deep fry anything, so I'm not quite sure why I bought it - but I did! I think my compulsive small kitchen appliance buying has something to do with boredom and Amazon shopping. This kitchen buying thing is a bit of a problem for me. You see, I still have things in storage that have never even been opened! I think there's a juicer, an indoor grill, a kettle, lots of dishes and glasses, a second and third food processor, and many other things I don't need.

I decided I will not let the deep fryer have the same fate! I removed it from the box, sat it on the counter, and stared at it for what seemed like forever. Then I stared at my kitchen, hoping something would jump out and say "fry me!", and something did! I decided to make onion rings with the one red onion I had sitting on the counter.

I took the fryer outside to enjoy the beautiful weather, and grill my steak with chimichurri. I used my regular all purpose flour seasoning for the onion rings, minus garlic powder because I'm trying to re-stock my cabinets after coming home to empty ones.


Buttermilk Red Onion Rings

1pt buttermilk
1 large red onion, sliced into rings

Seasoned flour:
4c AP flour
2t salt
2t black pepper
2t white pepper
2t garlic powder
2t onion powder
2t cayenne
2t paprika

1. Let the onion rings soak in the buttermilk for about 30 minutes. I seriously have no clue why I do this, but I've always done it.
2. Double dip the onion rings by dipping into flour, into the buttermilk, and into the flour again.
3. Deep fry at 350F until they're golden.
4. Place on a cooling rack to drain off excess oil.
5. Eat and enjoy!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment