Monday, August 16, 2010

A Guide For Understanding My Recipes

Awhile ago I was giving my friend directions on reheating a dish and she kept asking me all sorts of questions about the instructions I wrote down for her. She's a pretty accomplished home cook so I couldn't understand why she didn't understand my instructions. Well...it turns out all of my recipes make sense to me, but other people give me strange looks when I scribble them down. Sometimes I say things like "til it's done" or "you know, like, a few minutes". I also tend to abbreviate things a lot for quickness. Over the years I've figured out no one else has any clue what I'm talking about. I guess that's a good thing if I want to keep my recipe a "secret", but when I'm trying to share with people it kind of backfires.

I usually read the recipe a few times before I post it to make sure it will make sense to everyone, but this is a short guide to my abbreviations.

tt = to taste. Just season with S&P until it tastes good to you.
t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
AP flour = all-purpose flour
c = cup
glug = ummm...ok, I know this is a strange one, but you know the "glug" sound the olive oil makes when you're pouring it out of the bottle? That's a glug.
a bit = usually a pinch or about 1/2t


That's all I can think of right now, but I will continue to add things as I see myself using them. Please leave a comment and ask if you're not sure on a recipe. I check the comments almost every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment