Friday, August 27, 2010

My Must Haves For The Kitchen

Everyone has things that are "must haves" in their kitchen. I'm lucky to have two kitchens in my house, so I am able to have every gagdet and small appliance I could dream of. After spending the summer in my tiny London flat, and feeling like I couldn't even cook, I decided to sit down and decide what things I needed and what things I could really live without. This is my list of must haves.


1. Mixing bowls - different sizes and ones that stack inside each other like these with rubber on the bottom so they don't slide around when you're trying to mix or whisk.

2. Measuring cups & sppoons - liquid measuring cups like these by Oxo that stack inside each other, and dry measuring cups like these. You really need both because the liquid and dry measures are slightly different. For the spoons, any ones will do as long as they have a good amount of different sizes.

3. Good pans - good, non-stick pans for people who don't want to scrub after the cooking is over.

4. Chef's knife - a good, heavy 8" chef knife is great for chopping everything

5. Cutting boards - one for meat, one for veg.

6. Whisk - any whisk as long as it's well made and sturdy.

7. Wooden spoons - a few in different sizes.

8. Mandoline - if your knife skills are awe inspiring and speedy then this isn't needed, but for people who aren't that quick, this tool helps speed up the prep process. I like the one from Kuhn Rikon.

9. "Y" or "Swiss" peeler - this type of peeler is great for speed peeling. I recommend the one from Kuhn Rikon since it comes in a set of 3.

10. Cooling rack - like this one by Calphalon.


That's my top 10! I'm sure I could go on and on, but I will stop there. What's your must haves? Leave a comment and let me know!


A

No comments:

Post a Comment